The Parent Involvement Initiative is part of the Kentucky Department of Education’s State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG), funded by the Office of Special Education Programs and managed by the University of Kentucky. It is designed to promote stakeholder engagement in Kentucky Department of Education initiatives (e.g. State Performance Plan and State Systemic Improvement Plan).
What is happening with Parent Involvement?
- Parent Handbook
The Kentucky Parent Guide for Special Education [PDF] was developed to provide parents and other stakeholders with information regarding the special education process and services provided to students throughout the state. Click on the link above for answers to questions regarding the special education process.
- Parent Resources
- FACT SHEET: Eligibility [PDF]
- SPANISH FACT SHEET: Eligibility [PDF]
- FACT SHEET: Evaluation and Need for Services [PDF]
- SPANISH FACT SHEET: Evaluation and Need for Services [PDF]
- FACT SHEET: IEP [PDF]
- SPANISH FACT SHEET: IEP [PDF]
- Parent Involvement in Special Education Brochure [PDF]
- SPANISH VERSION: Parent Involvement in Special Education Brochure [PDF]
- SSI: What You Need to Know [PDF]
- SSI: What You Need to Know (Spanish) [PDF]
- Parent Involvement Video Series- Developed to provide information from The Kentucky Parent Guide for Special Education. Videos range in length from 10-26 minutes each and can be viewed by an individual or a group. The videos are designed with flexibility in mind, so parents can view them in order, or as specific needs arise. Interested individuals can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a specific video in the series. The videos will be provided at no cost.
- Video 1- Eligibility: Describes the special education eligibility process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdt0RJqiNDo&feature=youtu.be
- Video 2- Evaluation: Describes the referral, evaluation and ARC process, including a discussion of response to intervention. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwtJelEtLBA&feature=youtu.be
- Video 3- IEP: Describes the IEP process, including the components of the IEP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WMrlZYIPk&feature=youtu.be
- Video 4- Tips for Parents: Includes a description of resources available to parents and ways to foster a strong home/school partnership. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ1L7Jxv0xs&feature=youtu.be
- Video 6- SSI: Provides an in-depth discussion of SSI and the benefits and impact of joining the workforce.
RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Kentucky Guide to Special Education Due Process [PDF] was developed to provide school staff and other service providers with information regarding the special education process and services provided to students identified with disabilities. This guide can be used by school staff as a handy desk reference for procedural questions.
- School personnel are also encouraged to use any of the resources available on this webpage as needs arise.
- Suggested uses for Parent Involvement Materials:
- New Staff Training- the Parent Handbook, Due Process Guide and the Fact Sheets can be used effectively with new teachers to provide information on the special education process. Additionally, the Parent Involvement Video Series can be used by schools and districts to provide staff training or refreshers, as needed.
- Teachers can provide parents with the Handbook and Fact Sheets in preparation for ARC meetings or evaluations.
- Surrogate Parent Training provided at the district level can be supplemented by use of the Parent Involvement Video Series and Fact Sheets.
Purpose and Goals of the Parent Involvement Project:
- Help parents and other stakeholders increase their understanding of the SPDG
Provide a liaison to work between the KY SPDG and community, school, parent and student groups statewide. Information is made available to increase stakeholder understanding of Kentucky Department of Education initiatives and how they impact students identified with disabilities.
- Provide feedback to KDE leadership
Provide parent and stakeholder feedback regarding SPDG initiatives and activities to KDE leadership. This provides a mechanism for stakeholder input into school improvement planning.
- Provide activities designed to enhance parent involvement with the SPDG and SPP
Disseminate information and training regarding parent involvement goals and objectives, resources and services including a parent handbook. Create opportunities to increase parents’ understanding of SPDG initiatives in order to engage with schools more effectively in the decision-making process regarding school improvement (SPP and SSIP).
- Program evaluation
Project coordinator along with SPDG evaluators, assess the needs of parents to evaluate the effectiveness of parent involvement programs. The analysis of annual surveys is used to identify parent needs and successful approaches to increase parent involvement.
Susan Burgan, Parent Involvement Coordinator, email@example.com